gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] License of GC

From: epiotr
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] License of GC
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 09:10:38 +0100 (CET)

> Hi all,
>
> I've been browsing through the source code to fix a problem which turned
> out
> to be a GDK problem (wrong sizes of png icons), but before I'll check if I
> want to contribute any other code for gnome-commander, can any of you
> clarify the license under which it is distributed? It says on the site hat
> it is GPL, but I didn't recieve a copy of the license with the source code
> from CVS. It also says copyright in the about box, which I think is
> strange
> for a GPL program (although I respect the work of Marcus Bjurman).

It's definitely GPL2. Copy of the licence is distributed with every
publicly relesed version - you can verify it at
ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-commander/ and, of course, it
is available at cvs repo
(http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/gnome-commander/COPYING)

The about box is designed after any other GNOME app. If you check for
example gedit, its about box (2.14.4) says:

  Copyright © 1998-2000 Evan Lawrence, Alex Robert
  Copyright © 2000-2002 Chema Celorio, Paolo Maggi
  Copyright © 2003-2006 Paolo Maggi

so there is nothing wrong here :o)

Piotr