gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] find -samefile as gcmd menu program

From: Micha
Subject: [gcmd-dev] find -samefile as gcmd menu program
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 00:50:00 +0100

I spent some hour on a script exchanging symlinks
by hardlinks, because i need to export stuff via NFS
and it turned out there are weird problems with
absolute-pathed symlinks on exported filesystems.
Thus the need to get information about hardlinked files,
which i implemented as seperate snippet inside my
gcmd-swiss-army-knife wrapper script.

This is the part of that script ('gnome-commander-tools'):

[ stuff ]

case $choice in

   linkinfo) # show symlink target or hardlinks (xmessage uglyness)
            case `find $1 -type l` in

               '') xmessage "Hardlinks: `find -samefile $1`"
                ;;

                *) xmessage "Symbolic link pointing to:
`find $1 -type l -printf '%l\n'`"
                ;;

            esac

          ;;

[ more stuff ]

esac

(and yes the symlink piece *does* contain this newline formatting)

The Options -> Program command is "gnome-commander-tools linkinfo"
The symlink piece is working fine from shell and gnome-commander menu too.
Example:

If i apply the gcmd menu entry to a symlink, gcmd logs:
[GG] running: gnome-commander-tools linkinfo  '/tmp/nocheinlink'

and xmessage says:

Symbolic link pointing to:
/tmp/test3

Now AAA be a plain simple file with no further hardlinks (than one for
itself). I can run this command in a shell:

gnome-commander-tools linkinfo /tmp/AAA

and the xmessage box spits out: "Hardlinks: ./AAA"

Now i select the file AAA in gcmd and run the menu entry
(we remember, it already works fine for symlinks).
Now gcmd logs:
[GG] running: gnome-commander-tools linkinfo  '/tmp/AAA'
and xmessage says, "Hardlinks:" -- nothing more.

Another example, i created some hardlinks to the file TEST.
The shell command "gnome-commander-tools linkinfo /tmp/TEST" gets:

Hardlinks: ./test1
./TEST
./==test1
./===test1-symlink

The same through gcmd gets: "Hardlinks:" fullstop.

gcmd logs:
[GG] running: gnome-commander-tools linkinfo  '/tmp/TEST'

... it's driving me mad.

Any explanation ?

ps.

I don't know if that's anyhow related, but before any of these commands
gcmd logs also:

(gnome-commander:14899): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

pps. attached the whole script -- all this stuff is not yet whitespace-clean.

 m°