gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] exiv2

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] exiv2
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 00:22:43 +0100

> I think that's maybe no news, but you talked about ^exiv$ in the past
> and i just notice there's exiv2 now:
>
> http://www.exiv2.org/
>
> quote:
>
> The Exiv2 library provides
>
> * full read and write access to the Exif and IPTC metadata of an image
> through Exiv2 keys and standard C++ iterators
> * a smart IPTC implementation that does not affect data that programs like
> Photoshop store in the same image segment
> * Exif MakerNote support:
>
> - MakerNote tags can be accessed just like any other Exif metadata
> - a sophisticated write algorithm avoids corrupting the MakerNote:
>
>   1) the MakerNote is not re-located if possible at all, and
>   2) MakerNote Ifd offsets are re-calculated if the MakerNote needs to be
> moved (for known Ifd MakerNotes)
>
> * extract and delete methods for Exif thumbnails (both, JPEG and TIFF
> thumbnails)
> * set methods for Exif thumbnails (JPEG only, TIFF thumbnails can be set from
> individual tags)
> * complete API documentation (by Doxygen)

Yes, it is very nice library, but unfortunately for us it's C++. gcmd
(as a C app) can't link to it... It's the same like for the taglib
(http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/taglib.html) - the library for
"library for reading and editing the meta-data of several popular audio
formats. Currently it supports both ID3v1 and ID3v2 for MP3 files, Ogg
Vorbis comments and ID3 tags and Vorbis comments in FLAC files as well
as MPC." and it is C++ (sigh...) gcmd suffers from choosing C at the
very beginning. It is possible to "upgrade" to C++, but it'll cost lot
of work... IMHO it'll be done in a future for C++ allows to write faster
code code with far less effort - maybe somewhere in 2007?

At the moment I'd like to add supporting ID3 tags (using id3lib
library), add some GUI polishing and first of all - to fix as as many
bugs as possible...

Piotr