gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] shopping cart and active selection

From: Magnus Stålnacke
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] shopping cart and active selection
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 01:05:36 +0200

Micha wrote:
Piotr Eljasiak <address@hidden>:
| I'm not sure if I grok you right - do you mean: defining some
| (predefined?) actions for the shopping cart contents like burning ?

Yes, for example for burning. I think, burning is something most users will do more often,
so it could be a 'predefined' = inbuilt feature.

But there are several possibilities how actions can be applied to the cart, for example

I do not think that thought is "inline" with the rest
of gcmd.. Having trouble to express it, bare with me..

I can imagine a "cart" just like the F9 search window,
the list in that window works just like the usual
file lists, just yet another file list (that contains
links/pointers to files insted).

If the "cart" works the same as any other file list, users
will feel at home, they can use the F3 viewer, sort columns,
have the usual rightclick menu, drag n drop .. and so on.
A "burn this" any other "action" like a meta tag editor, would
make good plugins though, and of course, those would not
only work on the files in a "cart", they work just as well on
a search result or any marked files and dirs in the ordinary
file lists.

You just click on files and apply 'add to shopping cart',

Yes, if there is a cart, a rightkclick entry "Add to Cart..."
and then select wich saved cart would be just right.

There is another question: If a plugin or custom program
call should be able to work on both, the cart or just the
active selection, then you need a way to say 'do that on the shopping cart and not on the active selection'.

See above, and my previous example with fw/bw in the viewer.

No selection = the hwole list (or dir if the list is that)
If files selected = just work on the selected ones.