gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] large files, again

From: Micha
Subject: [gcmd-dev] large files, again
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 04:43:12 +0200

Congrats to Assaf !

I found a very beautiful picture of the orion nebula

<http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/2006/01/image/a+warn>

and downloaded the 24MB file. However, it turned out
neither xzgv nor gqview nor gthumb nor eog will show it :|
since it has 18000x18000 pixel, i suppose that's too much.
Not even ida did. And i won't try gimp, the default allocation
of (20times the) memory for native layered format plus
version buffer, on this file, would crash my machine immediately...
I wanted to view this pic so hard i even wrote a 'help!' mail to Russel,
the xzgv developer.
So what?? I resembled my mind, started gc and hit F3 and guess what,
after about 5 (!) seconds, there it was !

Absolutely great experience.
You beat them all, Assaf ! :)

   °
 /\/

ps. What i try to do is to zoom into large pics as if i were
flying a spaceship, that's why i prefer the huge ones.