gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: GNOME Commander status

From: Micha
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: GNOME Commander status
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:07:17 +0100

Magnus Stålnacke <address@hidden>:

| Micha wrote:
| >
| > | I think this is better solved by having the
| > | "no mount ("this is a dir")" option on a per
| > | mountpoint basis nsted of globally as it is now.
| >
| > Yes, you can implement it in several ways.
| > However, why bother the user with thinking about it at all ?
| > no supermount -> always try to mount in background -> doesn't work: just cd
into folder.
| > supermount active -> never mount
| > Why a checkbox at all ?
|
| Several reasons.
|
| 1. Supermount is not the only way of automounting,
| there are many other ways to achieve this, so you cannot
| check for just that specific one, and supermount isnt just an
| automounter, it is a pseudo filesystem that gets automounted.
|
| 2. It is controlled through the ordinary fstab, which
| means that all removables does not need to be supermount
| filesystems. You can have a mix of not automount and
| automounted volumes, even automounted with different
| solutions. **
|
| 3. "always try to mount in background" would produce a
| "permission denied" on my system, since root are the
| only one allowed to that command on my system (and many
| other systems i belive).
|
| 4. There can also be a umount problem, since supermounted
| volumes does not need to be unmounted by user. Just rip
| out the media, gizmo or whatever, this even if you are viewing
| the content of it in the filelist.
|
| ** I have been tinkering around for a supermount based
| solution that automounts volumes under a mountpoint autocreated
| and named after the removable volumes name, or type (CD, DVD,
| usb-mass-storage whatever) if a "sane" volume name is missing
| (involves auto editing/updating of fstab). But i have not had
| time to really dive in to it.
|

| > | Since i use supermount i do not have your
| > | problems and can use device icons just like
| > | a bookmark thanks to the "no mount"
| >
| > Then this is a bug, since i checked "no mount" too.
| > Nonetheless gc mounts anything correctly.
| > If a dir is already mounted, then gc doesn't complain.
| > I guess it checks for supermount and if that is not active,
| > ignores the option completely (that is, always mount)
|
| Now i do not understand you.
|

| > | Gnome allredy have that ask-for-password that
| > | pops up when it is needed. I think gcmd can use
| > | that too. But i cannot recall its name.. gsudo
| > | or something like that.
| >
| > or maybe gksu. But it invoked the single window terminal last time
| > i tried it.
| > While a little menu entry like
| > <sudo multi-gnome-terminal -t ROOT-COMMANDER -e "su -c 'sleep 1 && mc -e
$1'">
| > would give you the multi terminal.
| > That's quite a difference since it allows you for more password-less
terminal tabs.
| > I implement such stuff as part of my 'gnome-commander-tools' wrapper
script,
| > though, because i got tired of debugging the char passing of this
> [...]

The original mail has expired here already ;) but i believe it was about my
report file,

  o root-viewer = Invoke root terminal -> password -> viewer. For configs and
logs.
  o root-editor = similar. Because xauth, maybe terminal editor necessary (e.g.
mcedit).

to be able to view or even edit configs as root, say, with mcview or mcedit (mc
-e).
But besides the texteditor i laways need a terminal too, or even 2 or 3.
Without too much circumstance, like sorting different xterminal windows, or
typing my password
over and over again !
If i start to do stuff like that, system maintanence, i rather often discover
more things to do,
view up this config and that log, modify another file...perhaps i should have
explained that.
I'm used to working on 3-7 parallel terminals on textconsole, root and user,
and
mutli-gnome-terminal allows me to do the same. Well 3 terms are enough on X, on
average.

So i log in and out a lot :)

MGT does the login for me (pseudoterminals), called with sudo i don't even need
type anything at all. Plus, on my working box, main user has no password at all.
I don't worry.

My desktop is strange enough that i am confident nobody around would
know what do do with it anyway :) and I have several layers of firewalling
against LAN and
WAN. And viruses exploiting sec holes would have a hard time with the turnover
of debian
"testing" too, i got ~ 50-100MB updates every day...and i never had any single
issue in 5 years.

   °
 /\/