gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: Website (was: new version for internal viewer)

From: Micha
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: Website (was: new version for internal viewer)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 03:56:40 +0100

Magnus,

The website is really beautiful now. Very fine :)

Magnus Stålnacke <address@hidden>:
| What do you think about this:
|
| [Home]
| * About
| * News
| * Authors
|
| [Screenshots]
| * Main window
| * Dialog windows
| * Other windows
-> advanced renaming with some regexpr !! (but first fix the crash of course...)

| [Download]
| * Latest release
| * Build info (+ info on deps. GTK version, and so on..)
| * External downloads

that's especially fine made !
Perhaps open in new tab/window?

| * Old versions
| * Source from CVS

Typoo "To check out the latest code from CVS, [folowing] command can be used:"
[following]
- with greets from linus ;) who complained about 'unprofessional kernel
messages'

| [Documentation]
| * Tips & tricks
| * Keyboard shortcuts
| * Internal viewer
| * Building from source

Do you think compiling without FAM is icky ? But anyway, come on, cut the text.
It works fine enough if you disable FAM by GUI option !
Especially, since there are still some minor issues (like the mount lock)

| [Development]
| * Nightly snapshots
| * CVS (+ Info about autogen.sh)
| * Hacking docs
| * Contribute
| * Mailinglists
| * Bugs
| * The team
Typoo "Magnus Stålnacke [are] also part"

Maybe a link to gnomefiles page here, too ?

| I will use the new right column more consistently for
| "in this section navigation"

Yes, and consider downscaling (or un-bold?) fonts in this navbar, they are
rather fat here.
With firefox 1.07 (linux) but of course could be as well a font issue.

| I need link to the snapshots, and a short text about those.
| Also some info about dependecies of the latest gcmd release.

...or do you (Assaf, Piotr) know how to extract these from some MAKE headers ?
With a shell commandline, for example.
Would be useful to know.

| Maybe CVS belongs under download?

Good question :)

no, i think this is devel (even if you do beta testing)

| Are there anyone using the style-changer?
| I feel it is an unneccesary gimmic today.

What are you talking about ? nongnu ? or gcmd layout ?

For the first, no, your style is perfect, needs no choice.
For the latter, I use gcmd custom colors and gnome-settings-daemon.

| I have also thought about an "about" page, moving the
| Feature list, Mailinglists and Authors to that page and
| thus having "Latest news" just under the short "Information"
| directly visible at front page without scrolling.

my 5 cent:

Fromt page should contain infos for first time visitors.
Including About and Contact.
Just marketing, you know.
I think Contact should be (top level) headline.

Latest news could belong to another or even sperate page
(because it's so important)

| I also think that we can have a "plugins/scripts" page
| under download, where we can collect some useful plugins
| and scripts. I guess plugins belong in the source tree,

ACK and that also could become a seperate page some day.
Like mozilla 'bookmarklets' pages, with descriptions and stuff..
but until now, leave it under gerneral Download.

| but some useful filemanagement scripts could be stored at
| the website as plain text files.
that would be rightcklick 'oneliners' then ? ACK, tips&tricks section.

my 5 ct

and thx for your effort