gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] Re: internal_viewer_ng, improved, but still in Alpha

From: Magnus Stålnacke
Subject: [gcmd-dev] Re: internal_viewer_ng, improved, but still in Alpha
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 03:49:24 +0100

A. Gordon wrote:
Hello guys,

Here's a new version of the internal viewer.

As before, the patch is against the latest CVS version, and the tarball opens-up to a new directory called "gnome-commander-1.2.0-pre".

OK.
It is quite a lot bigger and took longer time to compile.

And three new features:
1. "External Tools" - This allows executing an external program and displaying its output.
Currently only two tools are hardcoded:
HTML Parser - requires the program "html2text" (it is standard on almost every distribution).

This html2text i do not have.

PS/PDF Parser - requires the program "ps2ascii" (from the standard package "gs-common", found on almost every distribution).

This one i have.

It kind of works..
I get text, but with linewrapping it is hard to read,
no paragraphs and the scrollwheel does not work. If i
turn off line wrapping, it could have been readable, but
now sidescrolling does not work.

2. Menu changes:

Better.

3. (This is for you, Magnus) EXIF/IPTC viewer.

Super.

* Viewing exif and IPTC works fine but..
  * Cannot change exif/IPTC font size, i thought about linewrapping,
    but no, that does not work since it has to be on the on the same
    line in this simple text view (Caption/Abstract in IPTC have a
    max limit on 2000 characters).
  * It would be an improvement i you can separate exif and IPTC,
    maybe tabs or separate menu options (tabs would be great).

* Scrollwheel does not work in the meta info.

About the zoom problem:
I can't say I solved it, but I think you'll see some improvement:
I still use GDK, but I use a different scaling algorithm, and allow only nine zoom factors (0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1, 1.25, 1.5, 2,2.5.3).

The zoom factors are better, but now there are some
strange things with the functions.

* Zoom in goes sometimes directly to 125%, sometimes
  200%, 250% and even 300%, this seemes to be dependent
  on what i did earlier, feels quite random.
* Zoom out works only 3 times, with image widths over
  3000 pixels, you want more times..  There is also
  some problems alike above. All of a sudden i can only
  zoom out one time and then no more.

But it feels a little faster on zooming.

I hope this will make the viewer more usable - If not, I'll try to use a different library than gdk.

* The viewer cannot handle uncompressed images like tiff,
  pnm and ppm at all, i had to kill gcmd when trying those
  kind of images (froze at 100% load).

* A lot slower to view image (initial), now it takes about
  the same time to view a 6Mp image than it took to view a
  34Mp in 1.1.7. that is quite much slower - not good.
* I converted one of my 34Mpix pnm images to jpeg just to
  make some comparisons:
  * F3view now took 5 sec to open it.
  * F3view in 1.1.7 took only 2 sec! (this is truly impressive)
  * EOG about 6 sec.
  * GQview 8 sec.
  * gThumb 6 sec.

Open a 34Mpix jpeg in 2 sec (1.1.7 version), i doubt that
anything can beat that, but you said there where faster
libs around.. I wonder if this really is a library problem,
but i guess you know a lot more than i about that.

//Magnus S.

P.S
We are having some problems with the mailing lists
but i hope Savannah get things together, earlier
today not even i as list admin could post to them,
so i try to CC this mail to the list too - hope it
works now..