gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: interrupts in 64-bit GCL

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: interrupts in 64-bit GCL
Date: 20 Feb 2009 21:13:12 -0600

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:

| Greetings!  You can see the gcc flags emitted with
|
| (trace si::system)
|
| I think the current behavior is
|
| (proclaim '(optimize debug))
|
| Warning:
| The OPTIMIZE quality DEBUG is unknown.
| NIL
|
| in 2.6.8 and a no-op in 2.7.0, though it should be fixed in the
| latter.

Absolutely right, you are.   I confused 'debug' with 'safety'.
I just checked what OpenAxiom emits when I say

     open-axiom.trunk/configure --enable-checking

The answer is

   ;; Lisp compiler optimization settings.
   (defconstant |$LispOptimizeOptions|
     '(speed safety))
   (proclaim '(optimize speed safety))

so, not 'debug' but 'safety'.  And, now I see I put a comment in the
configure file saying

   if test x"$axiom_enable_checking" = xyes; then
      case $axiom_lisp_flavor in
        gcl) # GCL-2.6.x does not understand debug.
           axiom_optimize_options="$axiom_optimize_options safety"
           ;;
        *) axiom_optimize_options="$axiom_optimize_options safety debug"
           ;;
      esac
      AC_MSG_NOTICE([runtime checking may increase compilation time])
   fi

With safety 3 on, OpenAxiom takes approximately 5 times longer to build
the entire algebra.

-- Gaby