gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Updated directions for setting up MinGW and MSYS on MS-Vista

From: Donald Winiecki
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Updated directions for setting up MinGW and MSYS on MS-Vista (and other stuff)
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 14:20:28 -0600

The following (and attached) is my update on the installation and setup
directions for TortoiseCVS, MinGW, MSYS and GCC for building GCL.  It
would be terrific if anyone using Vista could check this out for me and
let me know if it works for them.

Just something to add * I've now verified this with both GCL-2.6.7
and GCL-2.6.8pre (ANSI).  Though I should _also_ say that the process is
somewhat flaky on Vista; sometimes I have to checkout from the CVS
several times before I can successfully build the .exe.  There may be
something unusual going on in the checkout process with TortoiseCVS.  I
suspect this because, on installation, TortoiseCVS reports that it is
not fully compatible with MS-Vista.  Since I'm using the most recent
update of TortoiseCVS, I'll have to keep attentive of any developments
in that tool.

Best regards from under the beautiful and cloudless blue skies of
Boise, Idaho!

_don winiecki

*----------- the updated setup directions follow *-----------

BUILDING NATIVE WIN32 GNU COMMON LISP FROM CVS

The preferred build host system for the Mingw32 compiler is MSYS.

I use gcc version 3.3.1 and binutils 2.14.90, but earlier versions
of gcc back to 2.95 are OK provided that you remove the
"-fno-zero-initialized-in-bss" flag in "h/mingw.defs" before running
"configure".

Note that gcc 3.3.3 and gcc 3.4.0 do NOT work; likewise binutils
2.13.90
and 2.15.90.

The working binutils version can be found at:

http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/mingw/binutils-2.14.90-20030612-1.tar.gz

INSTALL AND CONFIGURE TORTOISE CVS

Download Tortoise CVS from:  http://www.tortoisecvs.org/

After downloading, install Tortoise CVS and included programs,
accepting default installation directories.

DOWNLOAD CVS FOR GCL

Choose a directory to which you will download (check out) of the GCL
CVS
(I created c:\_cvs).

Enter the directory created and right click.  The context menu will
show
`CVS checkout' as a context menu itemu.

Choose the 'CVS checkout' context menu item.  You should be presented
with
a dialogue box titled 'TortoiseCVS-Checkout Module'.

Under the 'Module' tab, enter the following:

For Protocol, enter

     :pserver

For `server', enter

    cvs.savannah.gnu.org

For `Repository folder', enter

    /sources/gcl

For `User name', enter

     anonymous

On the right side of the dialog box, for `Module', enter

     gcl

Under the 'Revision' tab:

Select the 'Choose branch or tag' radio button

Select the 'Update list...' button

Open the 'Branch or tag name:' drop down list and select the version
you want
to build

Under the 'Options' tab:

Select the `Export - for making a software release' radio button

Check the `Use UNIX line ending' box

Choose the 'Enter your own folder name' radio button

In the 'Custom folder name:' field, enter the name of the folder you
desire
to be created (for example, 'gcl-2.6.7' to match the version to be
built)

Now, click again on `Module' tab. Click on OK.  You should see that
tortoise CVS is checking out GCL from CVS repo.

More information on CVS access is available here

   http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=gcl

INSTALLING BUILD TOOLS (MinGW, MSYS)

** IF INSTALLING ON WINDOWS XP **
** (see below if installing on WINDOWS VISTA) **

BUILD TOOLS

Subject to the above warnings, it is usually a good idea to keep up to
date with Mingw32 and MSYS.  Updates for various parts of these
packages
are available on the web site.

Go to http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml and download

  http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe?download

  http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/MSYS-1.0.9.exe?download

  http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/msysDTK-1.0.1.exe?download

http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/gcc-core-3.3.1-20030804-1.tar.gz?download

Install these files in the same order as above. Accept the default
locations. GCC-CORE-3.3.1-20038041.tar.gz' should be extracted into
c:/mingw and overwrites the older version of gcc.

When you are done, you should be able to start MSYS and a get the '$'
prompt
(customized for your machine name and your username, if active)

To check the installation, type 'gcc -v' at the prompt.  If all was
installed
properly you should see:

  gcc version 3.3.1 (mingw special 20030804-1)

** IF INSTALLING ON WINDOWS VISTA **
** (see above if installing on WINDOWS XP) **
** (Thanks to Dan Raymond for this: **
**
http://readlist.com/lists/lists.sourceforge.net/mingw-msys/0/918.html)
**

BUILD TOOLS

Subject to the above warnings, it is usually a good idea to keep up to
date with Mingw32 and MSYS.  Updates for various parts of these
packages
are available on the web site.

(Alternative location for these files is [as of 6 July 08]:
 http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml and download)

Install these files in the same order as indicated below.  Accept the
default locations.

  http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe?download

When the following program opens a terminal window and asks permission
perform postinstall processing, press `n' and `enter' to abort the
postinstall processing (otherwise, an error may occur and Vista will
generate over 100 windows).

  http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/MSYS-1.0.10.exe?download

  http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/msysDTK-1.0.1.exe?download

Open an MSYS window and type the following command (this will allow you
use the MSYS version of ftp instead of the Windows version of ftp
subsequently):

mv /bin/ftp /bin/ftp.old

Copy the following files to c:\mingw

http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/binutils-2.14.90-20030612-1.tar.gz?download

http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/gcc-core-3.3.1-20030804-1.tar.gz?download

  http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/mingw-runtime-3.14.tar.gz?download

  http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/w32api-3.11.tar.gz?download

Open an MSYS window and execute the following commands (The first four

command lines below untar the archives and delete them while the last
line
sets up the mount point for mingw (you need to do this manually since
you
aborted the post install for MSYS).

cd /c/mingw
gzip -d *.gz
find -name '*.tar' -exec tar -xvf {} \;
rm *.tar
echo 'C:/mingw /mingw' > /etc/fstab

When you are done, you should be able to start MSYS and a get the '$'
prompt
(customized for your machine name and your username, if active).

To check the installation, type 'gcc -v' at the prompt.  If all was
installed
properly you should see the following.  (If not, something got missed
along
the way.  At this point, uninstall msysDTK, MSYS and MinGW through
Windows'
control panel and delete the c:\MinGW and c:\msys directories, reboot
and
reinstall following the procedure above.)

  gcc version 3.3.1 (mingw special 20030804-1)

BUILDING GCL USING MSYS AS THE HOST

At the MSYS '$' prompt, change to your GCL source directory (for
example):

  cd /c/_cvs/gcl

You are now ready to configure GCL:

If you want to build the CLTL1 variant, type:

  ./configure --prefix="c:/gcl" > configure.log 2>&1

If you want to build the ANSI variant, type:

  ./configure --prefix="c:/gcl" > --enable-ansi configure.log 2>&1

  Change the prefix directory as required for your desired final
installation
  path.

When configure is completed, enter the following command at the MinGW
command
line (the MSYS shell):

   make >& make.log

On my dual core 2.2GHz machine, the process takes about 10-12 minutes.
The
"saved_gcl.exe" (or "saved_ansi_gcl.exe") should turn up eventually in

the unixport directory (inside the \lib\gcl-x.x.x directory of the
final
installation directory).

You can try it out directly inside the MSYS shell by typing the
following at
the MSYS command prompt.

For the CLtL1 version, type the following:

  ./unixport/saved_gcl.exe

For the ANSI version, type the following:

  ./unixport/saved_ansi_gcl.exe

To install, type the following at the MSYS command prompt:

  make install >& install.log

- The batch file "gclm.bat" can be used to make a Windows desktop
  shortcut.  (NOTE: I have not been able to make this batch file work
[djw])

- BFD fasloading, Stratified Garbage Collection (SGC) readline and
GCL-TK
  don't work under Windows.  The configuration options above provide a
  "traditional" GCL executable which will build the current CVS version
of
  Maxima.  The BFD option will depend on someone with knowledge of BFD
and
  PE-COFF linking fixing some problems with the BFD library - I am
slowly
  absorbing the info needed, but we really need input from an expert.
My
  inclination is to stick with custom relocation as BFD is less
efficient.

INSTALLING GCL INFORMATION ACCESSIBLE FROM GCL INTERPRETER

Download "gcl.info.tgz" from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl/

Make the following directory path and unpack the downloaded file into

C:\usr\local\gnu\info

RUNNING GCL

You can move the final installation folder (for example,
"GCL-2.6.7-ANSI")
anywhere on your hard drive (typically, c:\program files).

Create a shortcut to the executable (either "saved_gcl.exe" or
"saved_ansi_gcl.exe") and assign to it the icon located in the \bin
directory.

You can then move the shortcut to anywhere (the 'Start' menu or your
'Quick
Launch' menu).  Double click the icon to launch GCL.

CONFIGURE GCL TO RUN IN INFERIOR MODE UNDER EMACS

Follow directions provided by Gordon Novak Jr. at:

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/novak/gclwin.html

Original setup and configuration directions by Mike Thomas, 15 Jun
2004.

Updates and modifications by Don Winiecki, 1:06 PM 01 Jan 2008, using
details
provided by Mike Thomas, Camm Maguire, Gaby Dos Reis, and Gordon Novak
Jr.
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2003-10/msg00227.html)

Updates for setup on MS-Vista by Don Winiecki, 12:40PM 06 Jul 2008,
using
information provided by Dan Raymond.