gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Building gcl from cvs?

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Building gcl from cvs?
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 19:24:14 -0500

Camm Maguire wrote:
Greetings!

Aloha!

On linux, configure finishes and when I try to make, it says it can't
find the dependency on /usr/lib/libbfd.a.  (This is Suse 10.3, x86_64.)

GCL has certain build dependencies, a working C compiler and libc
development header environment being among them.  Conventionally, GCL
also requires binutils-dev and libgmp3-dev at build time, but there
are local snapshots of these libraries to make do in a pinch.  The GMP
local build will turn on automatically if no installed GMP is found.
The binutils local build must still be invoked by hand thus:

--disable-statsysbfd --enable-locbfd

I'll try this soon. I'll look to see if I have those packages installed on my Suse 10.3 box.

Alas, macosx i386 is not yet running, though just requires a little
linker attention.  macosx ppc is fully functional.

Heh.  I don't think I ever got macosx ppc working either. :-(

In case you are interested in lending a helping hand here, please let
me know.

Perhaps later.  Let's get linux and/or solaris working first.

On Solaris 8 (sparc), it configures gmp ok, but then dies trying to c
stack limit.  In this case, I think generates the wrong C test code
because it initializes an int with a string or something.

I'd greatly appreciate details here.  Please be advised that gclcvs
makes good use of immediate fixnums, but that on Debian sparc, at
least, the conventional location of the fixnum table is not available,
and needs attention.  Linux x86 32 reserves memory above 0xc0000000
for the kernel, so GCL uses this area as a immediate fixnum table.
Sparc puts the C stack in here.  Logic is needed in configure to
determine an alternate safe location automatically.  Right now, Debian
sparc does not have immediate fixnums.

How much space do you need? AFAIK, you can mmap anything just about anywhere on sparc and things will be ok. The stack, of course, is at the top of memory. I'm not sure where libc/libm go, but they're not a fixed addresses either.

A few months ago, I verified that 2.6.8pre built on solaris x86 and
sparc.  I'd be happy to quickly commit any configure changes you still
find are needed here.  So more details are the first step.

Which would you like to work on first? :-)

I can help with solaris sparc on 2.6.8pre or on current cvs.

Thanks for your help,

Ray

P.S. There are a couple of issues I'd like to see solved on gcl. I think I sent mail about these before. Basically, ensure-directories-exist would be very beneficial for mk:defsys. A working directory function that doesn't just call out to find would help a lot too. Both of these are to help with maxima builds.