gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: directory/truename transition

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: directory/truename transition
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 05:04:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, Camm Maguire wrote:

| This is all quite depressing.  It appears the clspec is quite
| deficient in this regard.  Hence, I think the proper goal for GCL is
| to be as close to posix and "intuition" in this regard while still
| passing the spec.

Hi Camm,

  Indeed, I believe that where ANSI Common Lisp is silent and or
deficient in terms of system programming, it makes sense for GCL
to borrow from POSIX specification.  Mainstream proramming languages
that support system building either borrow from POSIX or have bindings
to POSIX.

  [There is also an ongoing effort to have a POSIX binding for C++, and
the C++ committee is also considering adding support for POSIX thread,
independently of whatever the binding group does. ]

-- Gaby