gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] plot bug in linux

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] plot bug in linux
Date: 06 Nov 2006 12:21:10 -0500

Greetings!

Yigal Weinstein <address@hidden> writes:

> The prepackaged install for Ubuntu off of any repository I know of is
> not Maxima 5.10.  I want to be using the latest release of Maxima as I
> really do appreciate using it.  So compiling is really not difficult
> i.e.:
>
> $ configure --prefix=/usr/share --exec-prefix=/usr --(lisp flavor)
> $ make
> # checkinstall (to create debian package .deb)
>
> This is not difficult.  If Ubuntu cannot be bothered to keep there
> packages current when it comes to Maxima and Maxima doesn't seem to
> provide Ubuntu flaver - which is slightly different, I believe, than
> Debian Unstable - which is using the latest Maxima, then compiling, or
> recompiling is really not difficult thing to do at all - I did this for
> the latest wxMaxima also.
>
> Converting rpm to deb gave me packages which did not work on Ubuntu
> either, i.e. using alien, so this worked well and really does not take
> long even on my machine of 1.8GHz P4, 512mb:-).

Yes, as the Debian maintainer of maxima, (Debian being the underlying
implementation behind Ubuntu), recompiling is designed to be as simple
as possible using apt-get, which does a phenomenal job with build and
install dependencies..  I don't know why Ubuntu is behind Debian
unstable at the moment -- this is not typical.

As to the question of bugs, which alas afflict all programs, one
approach is to implement a layer which attemtpts to automatically
verify the logic behind the code itself.  ACL2 (which also shares a
long history with gcl) is a particularly powerful example, though I
think most of the applications concern hardware as opposed to software
verification.  There has been some discussion within axiom of
eventually incorporating acl2, as it runs on the same lisp image, and
using it to certify the axiom codebase.  Quite ambitious, but this
might point the way to the long term evolution of CAS systems.

BTW, I've recently uploaded a package of HOL88 built atop gcl
to Debian -- this is another milestone automatic theorem proving
environment which carries with it an implementation of ML in the same
image to boot.

Take care,