gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: autoproclaiming and tempus fugit

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: autoproclaiming and tempus fugit
Date: 16 May 2006 12:57:01 -0400

Greetings!

OK, the preliminary autoproclamation stuff is in -- self-build,
ansi-tests, and maxima work.

Right now, there is a variable compiler::*compiler-auto-proclaim*
which defaults to t which turns this on.  If notes are not suppressed,
a note will be issued indicating the signature that is being
asserted.  In all cases, a warning will be issued if either the arg or
ret types deduced differ from those previously proclaimed as in
sys-proclaim.lisp.  The former override the latter.  If a call is
compiled to a function with no explicit (manual) proclaim  issued
ahead of time, the call will be a low generic call at this moment.  I
am working now on having the subsequent compilation of the callee
trigger a recompile of the caller.

So the upshot is that since acl2 proclaims everything anyway, the
performance should be unchanged.  This infrastructure will open up
performance improvement possibilities in the hopefully near future,
however.

Please let me know of any problems.

Take care,