gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] RE: Simple web server in GCL

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Gcl-devel] RE: Simple web server in GCL
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:59:05 -0400

On June 17, 2005 9:39 AM Camm Maguire wrote:

> 1) I can certainly make araneida work on GCL if we need it,
> but I'm missing the rationale, and of course time is always
> tight.  Isn't a full blown webserver overkill?  Do we need
> any functionality not in the simple little code we've been
> playing with?  I thought we were at the point to write html
> producing functions to feed through this mechanism.

I think the simple code is very likely adequate although
we might have some issues about multi-threaded access
since one might conceivably do something like browse Axiom
documentation while Axiom does a long calculation. Kai is
proposing therefore that the web server run as a separate
process. I am still nervous about general use of sockets
on Windows.

Yes, producing html (and javascript) to feed to a local web
browser is exactly what Kai and I are discussing.

[capturing Axiom ouput]

>  can be simplified to
>
>   )lisp (with-output-to-string (s) (let ((|$algebraOutputStream| s))
>    (|parseAndInterpret| "(x+1)^9")))

Yes this works fine. Thanks.

> Or even
>
>(defun axiom-string-eval (c)
>  (with-output-to-string (s)
>     (let ((|$algebraOutputStream| s))
>        (|parseAndInterpret| c))))
>
> )lisp (axiom-string-eval "(x+1)^9")
>
> But since you'd be calling this from the server running in
> lisp, you don't need the )lisp escape, no?

Yes, exactly.

> I take it |$algebraOutputStream| is a declared special.

I believe that is right. Tim? All I know is that this
works from within Axiom.

Regards,
Bill Page.