gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: GCL on Windows

From: michel . lavaud
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: GCL on Windows
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:28:25 +0100

On 14 Dec 2004 at 17:54, Page, Bill wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>

> > Is there a way to set it [HOME] during the install
> > process? Could we ask the user at that time?
> >

> Yes, I suppose we could ask the user what they want the
> default directory for AXIOM to be and default it to, say
>
>   c:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents
>
> (overridable by the user)
>
> We could set the environment variable HOME to point there -
> provided that HOME is not already pointing somewhere else
> for some other purpose (possible but not likely).
>
> It might be better if there was an AXIOM specific home,
> like AXIOMHOME. Or we could default it to something off
> the AXIOM variable that is pointing into the mnt/windows
> tree. But since the default for installation is
>
>   C:\Program Files
>
> and it is not normal to store user editable files there,
> this might not be such a good idea.
>
> Unfortunately, even if we do set HOME, the GCL truename
> function still does not currently work with "~/" in
> GCL-2.6.5 on Windows. This is probably just an oversight
> in the GCL coding.

On Windows NTx, the main home directory for installing applications / binaries
is given
by the environment variable ProgramFiles, and the main home directory for user
data
(e.eg. configuration files) by APPDATA, which is but default
USERPROFILE\Application Data. Common files are by default placed in the
directory
contained in the environment variable CommonProgramFiles.

Best wishes,
address@hidden
http://www.univ-orleans.fr/EXT/ASTEX
ftp://ftp.univ-orleans.fr/pub/tex/PC/AsTeX
liste de discussion: address@hidden
Abonnement à la liste: envoyer un message de contenu
"sub astex Nom Prenom Etablissement" à address@hidden