gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2.....

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2.....
Date: 17 Jun 2004 14:15:48 -0400

Greetings!

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Camm.
>
> | OK, I'll put SGC as an unimplemented feature.
>
> Please do.

OK

> |  Should we say the same
> | for dlopen and bfd?
>
> dlopen unimplemented.
>
> bfd - I think unimplemented as the problem seems to be that the BFD library
> does not support the method of relocation we are using.

OK.  'Unimplemented' should mean that there is no known obstacle to
the feature external to GCL, such as a missing libdl or some such, and
that we have not tried to make it work and failed.  Otherwise,
'broken' is more appropriate I think.

> |  I.e. would these work in principle were we to
> | code it,
>
> BFD should in principle be workable assuming someone has the time and
> ability to make whatever additions to the library are needed, (and then,
> very likely, have to support it forever more as well) but now that the
> custom-reloc linking seems stable, I'm not inclined to worry about it,
> although your recent discussions about BLAS etc did leave me with doubts.
>
> SGC I don't know, as I'm not familiar with the semantics of the Unix
> functions/signals involved and I don't understand what triggers the garbage
> collection.  I have a feeling you explained this to me recently but have
> misplaced the message.

I am hopinh this is a 'low hanging fruit' -- the following should be
in config.h:

#ifdef IN_GBC
#undef MPROTECT_ACTION_FLAGS
#define MPROTECT_ACTION_FLAGS SA_RESTART|SA_SIGINFO
#define GET_FAULT_ADDR(sig,code,sv,a) \
 ((siginfo_t *)code)->si_addr
#endif

#define ADDITIONAL_FEATURES \
                     ADD_FEATURE("SUN"); \
                     ADD_FEATURE("SPARC")

#define SGC

> My next GCL targets as 2.7.0 proceeds will be the Axiom seg-faults and
> testing Michael Ks work on paths.

Great!

Take care,