gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: Axiom on Windows

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: Axiom on Windows
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:44:07 +1000

Hi Camm.

| yes, one can copy these files into place and avoid the database
| rebuild.  There is another way that Tim described on the Axiom list
| some time ago which I have forgotten.  On ia64 mips mipsel alpha and
| hppa, where we have no save-system, this step exceeds the open file
| descriptor limit (1024) with all the calls to dlopen, so we do
| something similar there for Debian.

OK, thanks for that advice.

| > (1) -> )lisp (make-databases "" nil)
| >

| I am unsure if this is the right command.

It's transcribed from the Makefile.

|  But in any case, one needs
| to set (possibly several) environment variables, at least
| AXIOM=$(pwd)/mnt/windows, before running this.

Both AXIOM and PATH had been set according to the configure message.

| It looks like the 'nil' you find below is either that supplied as an
| argument above or results from the missing environment.  In any case,
| should this persist, it would be helpful (for someone, not you
| hopefully, you overworked soul!) to repeat the below with
| (si::use-fast-links nil) and under gdb with --enable-debug passed to
| the GCL configure and build.

As it happened, before I worked out that my GCL source tree was being
overwritten I set --enable-debug in the makefile pamphlet to try and catch
the crash that was manifesting with the standard Axiom lisp source.  If I
get a chance over the coming few days I'll try looking further.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.