gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Changing the behaviour of input streams

From: Marc Mertens
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Changing the behaviour of input streams
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 15:36:33 +0200

Hello,

      Is there a way that I can ensure that I can ensure that a function is
called whenever stream-read-char, stream-read-char-no-hang and stream-listen
is called on a stream. Basically  I want to ensure that when a program is
waiting on input from a input stream another function that is listening on a
socket is repeatedly called as long there is no input on the original input
stream.
I know that this is possible with gray streams but I found no reference to
this in the gcl documentation.
I was able to do this on clisp by subclassing stream and using defmethod for
stream-read-char etc, but when I tried to define a subclass of stream I
cannot make instances of the subclass (I get the error  No matching method
for the generic-function #<compiled-closure CLASS-DIRECT-SLOTS>,
when called with arguments).
Another solution (without having to change the behavior of input streams) is
multi threading, but I didn't find any reference to that either.

Thanks a lot for your help and keep up the good work.

Marc Mertens