gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Server sockets with GCL?

From: Chris Hall
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Server sockets with GCL?
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 05:33:32 -1000

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings!  This document is great!  We are much in need of improved
> documentation in several areas.  I'm hoping we might be able to merge
> some prewritten items from the old kcl docs if the license allows.
> Can anyone confirm and if so supply the complete doc?

I looked in the KCL distro I have, and the terms were such that one had
to obtain a specific grant from the Japanese author/maintainer in order
to use KCL - I have no idea if he is still available, but I suppose we
could try.

I also found an AKCL-1-615 distro, but it seems not to have the report.

I don't know the history of the KCL->AKCL->GCL transition/evolution, so
I have no insight as to why the report wasn't included.

There seems to be an indication that the 'KCL Report' was indeed an
academic report, as opposed to being called a report due to one of those
odd Japanese-to-English translation artifacts, so perhaps academic
publication issues or Japanese copyright issues prevented it?

Too, I know that FSF is necessarily a real stickler in this respect - is
there someone at FSF we could ask about this?

I'd be happy to try and contact the professor responsible for KCL, but
would prefer to know the history first.  Since so much time has elapsed,
perhaps some prior constraint has passed or expired - I find it hard to
believe that this document was simply overlooked, though stranger things
have happened.

Aloha,
+Chris

--
Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
-- Frank Dane