gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: (Summary view of above)

From: Chris Hall
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: (Summary view of above)
Date: 16 Apr 2004 04:07:54 -1000

(Sorry, I was sooo happy to finally get a usable GCL setup after more
than week of trying, I'm afraid that I went on a bit.)  Here are the
key bits:

* Build process: it seems to me, as a new 'customer' of GCL, that it
  might make sense to --enable-ansi by default, esp. since ILISP only
  seems to work with the ANSI build.  If people want faster, smaller
  builds, then they should --disable-ansi.

* ANSI/non-ANSI toggling: does the ANSI build revert to CLtL1 based on
  $GCL_ANSI?  Or should I have the non-ANSI saved_gcl available as
  well?

* ILISP: I'm not clear if --enable-ansi was required to make ILISP
  work, but I think it might be due to the different default package
  names, i.e. USER vs. COMMON-LISP-USER.  I couldn't figure out how to
  run an init script and change the GCL's active package when ILISP
  started it, though I see now that the shell script
  /usr/local/bin/gcl has an example.

* Does anyone know of a workaround for the SETF
  LOGICAL-PATHNAME-TRANSLATIONS issue?

--
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad
judgment.