gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] logical-pathname-translations 2.6.1 vs 2.7.0

From: Chris Hall
Subject: [Gcl-devel] logical-pathname-translations 2.6.1 vs 2.7.0
Date: 16 Apr 2004 03:39:27 -1000

I'm trying to use CLOCC on Debian woody and GCL 2.6.1-36 (ANSI).

I've seen the following relevant gcl-devel archive messages:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gcl-devel/2004-02/msg00170.html
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gcl-devel/2003-11/msg00063.html
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gcl-devel/2002-08/msg00085.html

I've also just downloaded, built and tried the gclcvs 2.7.0-20.

The 'bootstrapper' for CLOCC is clocc.lisp - makes using the rest of
the system _much_ easier.

Under 2.6.1-36, it won't load or compile-file - (SETF
(LOGICAL-PATHNAME-TRANSLATIONS *clocc-root*) (...)) brings things to a
halt.

Under 2.7.0-20, it compile-files just fine, but on trying to load
clocc.o, things break at the same SETF form.

Dunno if this is useful to anyone.

FWIW, I noticed that prioritization of yet-to-be implemented ANSI
features was discussed in the referenced messages.  I have no idea of
the internals, but from a purely pragmatic viewpoint, doing what it
takes to get GCL to successfully compile and load the CLOCC libraries
might be worth considering. ;-)

For now, though, I guess I'll just hack the parts of CLOCC I'm
interested in to use regular pathnames, and see what breaks after
that.

This in an interesting way to learn lisp, but . . .

Aloha,
+Chris

--
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad
judgment.