gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2.....

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2.....
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:36:10 +1000

Hi Camm.

| A few thoughts:

Thanks for these.

Before launching into this I followed up on last night's print output by
tracing a few of the parent functions to the problem point but that just
made the problem go away - frustration at every turn.

;(trace new-append-directories)
;(trace append-directories)
;(trace compute-system-path)

| 1) It looks like the problem starts here, is there a carriage return
|    at the front of the filename?

Not in the system definition file at least.  It's all random anyway and the
problem has been extant for a long time now.

| 2) Can you please run with (setq si::*notify-gbc* t)?  The erratic
|    nature of the problem indicates that it is possible that some windows
|    specific code is holding on to a pointer to a relocatable piece of
|    memory across a GBC call.  I had suspected fix_filename, but it
|    does not appear that there are any allocs in there.

What about "o/pathname.d"?

I scanned the file last night looking for stuff left on the value stack etc
but was pretty tired and could easily have missed something.

Regarding (setq si::*notify-gbc* t), the previous GC occurs just after
kclmac.o is compiled:

Finished compiling binary-gcl/kclmac.o.
[GC for 48 STRING pages..(T=1).GC finished]

which is 16 successfully compiled and loaded files earlier than the
particular point of failure recorded below:

start address -T 1021f000 Finished loading binary-gcl/displm.o

;    - Compiling module "rat-macros"
;      - Compiling source file
;        "c:/lang/source/gcl/maxima-2004-02-19/src/ratmac.lisp"
Compiling c:/lang/source/gcl/maxima-2004-02-19/src/ratmac.lisp.
Error in LET [or a callee]: Cannot create the file
binary-gcl/c:/lang/source/gcl/maxima-2004-02-19/src/k/ratmac.data.

Fast links are on: do (use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Broken at CONDITIONS::CLCS-OPEN.  Type :H for Help.
 1 (Continue) Retry opening file
#p"binary-gcl/c:/lang/source/gcl/maxima-2004-02-19/src/k/ratmac.data".
 2 (Abort) Return to top level.
dbl:>>

| 3) Is the problem always triggered on a source .lsp file when
|    compiling, or does it ever first appear when loading a .o?

I can't remember a first appearance while loading an object file.  That may
be wrong although I am fairly certain that last night and today the problem
appeared before that point.

| 4) Is the gcc 3.3.3 maxima compile issue gone?  If so, my
|    understanding is that this is the last of the three original
|    problems, 2 of which were ansi test failures in head and stable,
|    and one of which was maxima compile failure with gcc 3.3.3.

Woops; I forgot that little landmine.  Frustratingly, it is still there.

I'll specify gcc 3.3.1 for the release.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.