gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] WINDOWS -O3 OK - check FIND_INIT and fasload()

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: [Gcl-devel] WINDOWS -O3 OK - check FIND_INIT and fasload()
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 20:28:05 +1000

Hi all.

Admittedly the random tester has only made 400 iterations so far and I've got to clean up my work this evening, test Maxima etc, but MinGW32 is now on -O3 with no problems running tha ANSI test.

Every platform that uses "get_extra_bss()" in "sfasl.c" and which has an initialisation function in its object files (in my case it is called "_init_code" and it calls "do_init()") should be checked to ensure that the compiler does not move that initialisation function around in the object module, typically with higher order optimisations.

My guess is that the "-freorder-functions" optimisation which is turned on by -O2 (MinGW32 gcc at least) is the culprit and theerfore can potentially stymie linking code which does not check for such changes.

To check your object, just do:

   objdump -xS your_object_file.o

and redirect to a file which you can view at leisure to see whether your initialisation code stays at zero offset or not.

There are only a few IBM headers in the "h" directory which define FIND_INIT macro so far but they can be used as an example if you need to take action on this. I will be adding the MinGW32 version tonight hopefully.

Thanks for all your help Camm; I am feeling very, very pleased.

Mike Thomas.