gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL produces wrong EOL on mingw

From: Vadim V. Zhytnikov
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL produces wrong EOL on mingw
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:45:14 +0300

Mike Thomas ?????:
Hi everyone.

I am not getting these file name errors with CVS Maxima and stable CVS ANSI GCL. If someone can show me how to reproduce it on W2000 or XP I can have a look.

Are they related to the CLtL1 build or a particular OS? Is anyone getting them now?

To observe the problem it is necessary to replace

#+:gcl(abs-name (file-namestring abs-dir))
#-:gcl(abs-name (ignore-errors (file-namestring abs-dir)))

in defsystem.lisp

by

(abs-name (ignore-errors (file-namestring abs-dir)))

I just rebuild latest GCL CVS (ANSI) and latest Maxima CVS
on top of it.  With

#+:gcl(abs-name (file-namestring abs-dir))
#-:gcl(abs-name (ignore-errors (file-namestring abs-dir)))

I have clean Maxima build. With

(abs-name (ignore-errors (file-namestring abs-dir)))

I still get a problem:

;    - Compiling module "prerequisites"
; - Compiling source file "C:/msys/1.0/home/vadim/maxima/src/mormac.lisp"
Compiling C:/msys/1.0/home/vadim/maxima/src/mormac.lisp.
End of Pass 1.
End of Pass 2.
OPTIMIZE levels: Safety=0 (No runtime error checking), Space=0, Speed=3
Finished compiling binary-gcl/mormac.o.

start address -T 10314000 Finished loading binary-gcl/mormac.o

; - Compiling source file "C:/msys/1.0/home/vadim/maxima/src/compat.lisp"
Compiling C:/msys/1.0/home/vadim/maxima/src/compat.lisp.
Error in LET [or a callee]: Cannot create the file binary-gcl/C:/msys/1.0/home/vadim/maxima/src/j/compat.data.

Fast links are on: do (use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Broken at CONDITIONS::CLCS-OPEN.  Type :H for Help.
1 (Continue) Retry opening file #p"binary-gcl/C:/msys/1.0/home/vadim/maxima/src/j/compat.data".
 2 (Abort) Return to top level.
dbl:>>

A few observations from my experience with the problem.
It 100% reproducible and compilation always stop at the same file
provided background GCL remains unchange.  It is enough to
rebuild GCL with any tiny modification and error jumps to
other file.

The only serious bug I can report at present is the ANSI test crash which I have tried to isolate a couple of times including this morning without success. I'm happy to ignore it for 2.6.2 unless someone can find a quick fix, especially as the HEAD branch exhibits different, less severe, problems in the test.

As to whether it is related to CT/LF issues , who would know. I would expect it to be one off instead of two.

On Monday I intend checking in the changes made during the installer saga, putting out a test package and then crossing my fingers for a merciful end to 2.6.2.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.

Camm Maguire wrote:

Greetings, and thanks for the pointer!  Mike, is this still extant?
Can you link this to anything else at all, especially a call to GBC?
Since the overlap always appears to be 2 chars wide, could this be
elated to the cr/lf problems we've been seeing?

Take care,

"Vadim V. Zhytnikov" <address@hidden> writes:

Camm Maguire ?????:
Hi Vadim!  Can you give an example or pointer to a discussion on the
lists?

Here you are!

http://www.math.utexas.edu/pipermail/maxima/2003/006442.html
http://www.math.utexas.edu/pipermail/maxima/2004/006552.html