gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] RE: address@hidden: RE: certifying M1]

From: Jens Rickhoff
Subject: [Gcl-devel] RE: address@hidden: RE: certifying M1]
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 00:04:12 -0600

All,

I think I found out what the problem was. Let's look at the gcc error
message again:

gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
Error: (SYSTEM "gcc -c -Wall -fwritable-strings -DVOL=volatile
-fsigned-char -march=i386   -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -c
-w /Program Files/emacs-20.7/bin/TMP.c
-o /Program Files/emacs-20.7/bin/TMP.o") returned a non-zero value 1.

I investigated further, and strangly the problem did not occur in
another directory(!), I was able to compile just fine:

ACL2 !>(comp t)
Compiling C:/acl2/bin/TMP.lisp.
End of Pass 1.
End of Pass 2.
OPTIMIZE levels: Safety=0 (No runtime error checking), Space=0, Speed=3
Finished compiling C:/acl2/bin/TMP.lisp. Loading C:/acl2/bin/TMP.o
start address -T 10f7d400 Finished loading C:/acl2/bin/TMP.o
Compiling C:/acl2/bin/TMP1.lisp.
End of Pass 1.
End of Pass 2.
OPTIMIZE levels:
Safety=0 (No runtime error checking), Space=0, Speed=3
Finished compiling C:/acl2/bin/TMP1.lisp. Loading C:/acl2/bin/TMP1.o
start address -T 10f7d624 Finished loading C:/acl2/bin/TMP1.o
ACL2 !>

So I assume gcc complains about the space in the path "...Program
Files..."
and thinks it's the start of another option instead. The error message
is just completely misleading. And gcc is not broken at all.

Is there a way to change the gcc call from ACL2 so that it escapes
spaces in the file name, or to put the entire file name in quotes before
sending it off to gcc?

Also, I noticed that (comp t) does not work from a root directory:

ACL2 !>:comp t
Compiling D://TMP.lisp.
Error: Cannot create the file //TMP.data.
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by LET.
Broken at COND.  Type :H for Help.
ACL2>>

At first I thought that there is an easy solution to all these
problems: use ACL2 under Linux, and not Windows ;-)
But unfortunately, under Linux even the ACL2 start fails when it is
called from a path that contains a space:

jabberwock.cs.utexas.edu$ cd "my files"
jabberwock.cs.utexas.edu$ ../acl2
GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  Version(2.5.0) Tue Aug 27 18:02:58 CDT 2002
Licensed under GNU Library General Public License
Error: "/v/filer1a/v0q010/rickhoff/378/my files/" cannot be coerced to a
pathname.
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by LISP:LAMBDA-CLOSURE.
Broken at COND.  Type :H for Help.
ACL2>>

Thanks for all your help,