gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] RE: [Maxima] Re: Maxima cmucl patch

From: James Amundson
Subject: [Gcl-devel] RE: [Maxima] Re: Maxima cmucl patch
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:08:22 -0600

Mike,

Thanks for the well-written summary. I think it was very useful.

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 20:09, Mike Thomas wrote:

> I think James understands this stuff

Yes, at least to the degree that you explained it in the preceding
message. I was being sloppy about one thing in my previous postings,
however. I have been saying "MinGW" where I really meant "MSYS". The
unix-like environments Cygwin and MSYS are what I am trying to avoid.

> What James is apparently doing is building Maxima without MSYS, using
> whatever Windows Common Lisp compiler is desired by any particular developer
> (eg I use GCL, Richard Fateman uses ACL, others use CLISP, I would like to
> use Corman Common Lisp or LW).
>
> I suppose that James is writing  batch files for a DOS shell hosted build,
> but I am guessing - he could equally be using TCL scripts.

Actually, no. I shouldn't have been so mysterious about what I am really
doing. In fact, the changes I am implementing have nothing to do with
Windows. When I put together the build system for 5.9.0, it was my
intention that a Lisp expert should be able to bypass everything that
wasn't Lisp in building Maxima. In fact, you *can* build Maxima without
using anything but Lisp, but it isn't documented or convenient. All I am
doing now is making it more convenient and at least somewhat documented.
In the process, I'm cleaning up some messiness in the internal handing
of file search paths.

--Jim