gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: installing maxima on debian-alpha woody 3.0r1

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: installing maxima on debian-alpha woody 3.0r1
Date: 20 Jan 2004 19:58:07 -0500

Greetings!  The version of maxima in the stable distribution is
several years old, and was only ported to x86.  The error you see is
in the gmp subbuild, and likely stems from an older gmp that was never
ported to alpha as well.

The good news is that in the testing and unstable distributions, gcl,
maxima, axiom, and acl2 are supported on all 12 Debian architectures.
This is one of the primary objectives of GCL -- to provide as widely
portable lisp support with good performance as possible, and I think
we can say we've made reasonable strides in this direction.

I would recommend adding the following to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable non-US/main
non-US/contrib non-US/non-free

apt-get -q update, and then do your compile.  You will likely have to
install the maxima build-depends first, i.e.

apt-get -q -b source gcl
dpkg -i gcl*b

Alternatively, you can set your apt system to draw certain packages
from testing/unstable like maxima alone into your otherwise stable
system.  Look up 'apt-pinning'.

Alternatively again, you can install an unstable 'chroot' environment
in a subdirectory of your stable system, and pull in an unstable or
testing mini distribution for the purposes of running maxima et. al.
You can share home directories, etc. between the two.  This is what I
do, and its quite convenient.  Check out dchroot and debootstrap.
Something like the following should work:

(add above lines to sources.list)
apt-get -q -b source debootstrap
dpkg -i debootstrap*b
debootstrap sid path-to-unstable-chroot
apt-get -q -b source dchroot
dpkg -i dchroot*b
(edit /etc/dchroot.conf)
(mount any shared directories as per dchroot docs)
dchroot

Take Care,