gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.1

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.1
Date: 04 Sep 2003 16:05:18 -0400

Greetings!

"Vadim V. Zhytnikov" <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm Maguire writes:
> > Greetings, all!  You may have noticed the recent CVS activity.  Just a
> > quick summary here:
> > 1) ftp.gnu.org is *still* down, so I'm proceeding with a Debian
> >    package release to see where we are.
> > 2) Stable is now numbered 2.6.x, and unstable 2.7.x.  The debian
>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >    package can build simultaneously installable gclcvs and gcl
> >    packages to help with our development once this gets settled.  3)
> > axiom builds with 2.6.1 installed separately.  I have a prototype
> >    Debian package to release to unstable for testing shortly.
> > 4) Sizes increased, but a bit more work needs to be done here I
> > think.
> > 5) quite a few other changes, check the debian/changelog.
> > take care,
> > =============================================================================
> > gcl (2.6.1-1) unstable; urgency=low
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I'm confused (see above).
>
> Could you clarify a bit the status of various CVS branches.
>
> Now we have
>
> 1) CVS HEAD - 2.7.X - future develompment

Yes

> 2) CVS Version_2_6_1 - is this beta to forhcoming release.
> What the release number will be 2.6.2 ?

I think it would be ok under the circumstances (non-available
ftp.gnu.org) to work on 2.6.1 as our stable release candidate, release
Debian package versions as we approach finality as 2.6.1-1, 2.6.1-2,
(all Debian packages must have a package version anyway), and when
ftp.gnu.org becomes available again, put the then current 2.6.1
tarball on the site, and branch the cvs to 2.6.2.  I'm hoping at that
point most of the development will be on cvs head (2.7.x).

> 3) CVS Version_2_5_4 - what about this?

I've left this tag in, though it could be removed.  I basically
renamed it to Version_2_6_1 to match the release naming scheme
proposed and agreed to on the list, namely x.y.z with y *even* being
stable, and y *odd* being unstable, just like the linux kernel.  The
diff between 2.5.4 and 2.6.1 are mostly (minor) axiom changes.

Take care,