gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: possible lisp reader enhancement/modification

From: Paul F. Dietz
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: possible lisp reader enhancement/modification
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:53:58 -0500

Camm Maguire wrote:
Greetings, and thanks for your suggestion!

I'm forwarding this to the list to solicit opinions from our ANSI
standard experts on whether such a change would be permissible in ANSI
common lisp.  Comments?

Take care,

Matt Kaufmann <address@hidden> writes:

Hi --

I wonder if it would be possible to modify the GCL reader so that package
prefixes can apply to lists, not just symbols.  Here's an example of what I
mean.

In the example

   lisp::(a b)

the reader algorithm (section 2.2) will read the token lisp::.

According to section 2.3.5, this has no standard meaning:

   5. The consequences are unspecified if any other pattern of package markers
   in a token is used. All other uses of package markers within names of symbols
   are not defined by this standard but are reserved for
implementation-dependent use.

So, interpreting this to mean 'read the list in package LISP' would be
an acceptable extension, IMO.

You might try asking on c.l.l if there is any existing practice in this area.

        Paul