gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Issue on in-package from gcl-2.4.4 to gcl-2.5.2, corr

From: Paul F. Dietz
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Issue on in-package from gcl-2.4.4 to gcl-2.5.2, correct fix? where to dig?
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 12:47:37 -0500

David MENTRE wrote:

(PROVIDE 'BOOTTRAN)
(in-package "BOOTTRAN" :USE '(LISP USER SYSTEM))

At compilation time, I have:
Compiling boothdr.lisp.
; (PROVIDE 'BOOTTRAN) is being compiled.
;; Warning: The package operation (PROVIDE 'BOOTTRAN) was in a bad place.
; (IN-PACKAGE "BOOTTRAN" ...) is being compiled.
;; Warning: The package operation (IN-PACKAGE "BOOTTRAN" :USE
                                      '(LISP USER SYSTEM)) was in a bad place.

Why those warnings?

I don't know.  The use of :USE in IN-PACKAGE is not ANSI compliant, btw.

I usually put the DEFPACKAGE form in another file, btw.

Could you show me an example of making a DEFPACKAGE in another file and
I found no use of DEFPACKAGE there. grep'ing all gcl sources, the only
uses of DEFPACKAGE I found were in ansi-tests/ directory. And by quickly
browsing them, I found no use of separate definition & loading of
packages.

There are two examples in ansi-tests.

(1) The file rt-package.lsp contains the defpackage for the RT package
(I include the IN-PACKAGE form there to get Allegro CL to shut up about
something; I could get rid of that.)  This package is loaded in gclload1.lsp
before rt.lsp is compiled/loaded.

(2) The file cl-test-package.lsp is also loaded from gclload1.lsp, before
the CL-TEST package is needed for subsequent file compile/loads.

In neither of these files am I expecting the reader to behave as if the
package defined in that file has been created.

        Paul