gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] condition-proposal UPDATE

From: Peter Wood
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] condition-proposal UPDATE
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 04:41:44 +0100

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 06:11:14PM +0100, I wrote:
> Hi
>
> Much to my surprise, ACL2 _does_ compile with a GCL incorporating the
> changes I am trying for an ansi condition system.  Maxima,
> unfortunately, does not.  The previous time I tried compiling ACL2 I
> was using the saved_gcl image from a build with --enable-ansi, and the
> ensuing package confusion broke the ACL2 build.

WOOHOO.  Maxima _does_ compile.  I suspected it might, but was feeling
a little bitter about having to grovel around in its build.  Anyway I
bit the bullet and this is what I got:

I was using GCL configured with --enable-ansi, and my changes to the
condition system. My development GCL never gets installed, so I was
running it in place.  This might have confused Maxima's build.

I had to manually copy the cmpinclude.h file into Maxima's
binary-gcl/, numerical/, and slatec/ directories.  I also made some
small changes to Maxima's defsystem.lisp, otherwise it thinks GCL
really is ANSI compliant, and wants to have WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT
defined.

With these interventions, it compiled all the way through.  I had to
install it to run it (grrr) though, because it wont run in place.

So, the changes I have made:

1) Work with ACL2 if GCL is configured with --disable-ansi
2) Work with Maxima (with very minor changes to defsystem.lisp)
3) Work with the traditional image, although with new (ansi) condition
types.

The only requirement left is that it not break any builds for the 11
Debian architectures.  I am sure this can be achieved.

So whaddya think, Camm?  Like to see the patches?

Regards,
Peter