gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Two new tests for (SETF (VALUES ...) ...)

From: Paul F. Dietz
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Two new tests for (SETF (VALUES ...) ...)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:10:17 -0500

I wrote:

I've written a setf expander for MY-VALUES (equivalent to VALUES).
It still doesn't quite work, because as you noted GET-SETF-METHOD checks that there's
only one store variable. The various setf-like macros will have to be
rewritten to be able to handle multiple store values.

I've noticed that the following is rejected by CMU CL:

   (push (values 1 2 3) (values x y z))

It seems the addition of VALUES places to the ANSI spec was sufficiently
late that all the implications weren't worked out properly.

I'm going to check out what Allegro CL does also.  It may be proper
to just change the call to GET-SETF-METHOD in the setf macro to
GET-SETF-METHOD-MULTIPLE-VALUE, although I'd prefer it be handled
generally in a principled way.

        Pau