gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] Building GCL and Maxima plotting - Windows

From: James Amundson
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] Building GCL and Maxima plotting - Windows
Date: 28 Aug 2002 21:29:53 -0500

On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 18:36, Mike Thomas wrote:
> Hi Stephen.
>
> I've CC'ed the Maxima and GCL lists as these answers are relevant to anyone
> wanting to use Maxima and GCL on Windows platforms.
>

> MAXIMA WINDOWS STUFF
>
> > Why isn't Maxima on savannah?

GCL is an official GNU project. Maxima is not an official GNU project.
It was that way when Schelter was maintaining both; it hasn't changed.
Maxima is on Sourceforge.

> No idea about the history I'm sorry.  Anyone?
>
> > I'd like to get plots working on Windows. Since they work in the Tk
> > bundled version, I assume it's just a matter of configuring things
> > right. I did not try compiling GCL with Tk support.
>
> Actually it doesn't use Tk support in GCL at all and Tk is not supported yet
> by GCL on Windows.  XMAXIMA is a Wish wrapper script which communicates with
> Maxima.
>
> To work on it you should get the Maxima sources.
>
> At present the CVS version of that script is a bit neglected

True.

> as they changed
> the installed Maxima directory layout without updating  XMAXIMA.

Not true. At least, if there is a bug relating to the new directory
layout and xmaxima, I am not aware of it. We have updated xmaxima to
reflect the relevant changes in maxima. Please let us know if you find
something we have neglected to change..

>  If you're
> interested you might want to sort that out - I'm sure the results would be
> appreciated by others in the longer term!
>
> There may also be other Windows/Maxima plotting alternatives - off the top
> of my head I think that Maxima may be able to interface with GNUPlot for
> example.

Yes, Maxima can also talk to gnuplot. The man page now tells you how to
use gnuplot instead of the default tcl/tk program.

--Jim