gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] (object (*)()) vs (long (*)())

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] (object (*)()) vs (long (*)())
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 13:42:17 -0400

Greetings!  I'm maintaining gcl, which, fortunately or not, relies on
being able to cast function results back and forth from long to void
*.  (The 'object' above is a pointer to a union).  This works
everywhere except on m68k, where I can stop at a certain point in a
debugger, and get different results for (*f)(a,b), and
(object)(*(long (*)())f)(a,b), where f is declared object (*f)().

I hate to have to work around this on all architectures just because
of m68k, as was apparently done in earlier gcl versions.  Is there a
compiler switch, or function prototype declaration, or some other
means whereby I can get the same results from the above two calls on
this platform?

Take care,