gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Compiling floating point loops to blas calls

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Compiling floating point loops to blas calls
Date: 24 Jul 2002 12:59:17 -0400

Greetings!

Raymond Toy <address@hidden> writes:

>     Camm> 1) What are the "top" five ways a lisp programmer would write a
> matrix
>     Camm>    multiply?
>
> If I have a small matrix and don't want the baggage of matlisp, I just
> write it out.  But if I need something more like an inverse, or solve
> a system of equations, I'd use matlisp.

OK.  I know this is embarrasing, but how would you as a working lisp
programmer 'write it out'?  Do you use dotimes? dolist? loop? sloop?
What is the most conventional way to refer to the elements of a 2d
array?  (aref .... (+ (* lda r) c)), or something else?

>     Camm> 3) How much lisp code is out there using numerical floating point?
>     Camm>    How much is "open source"?
>
> Well, if you allow using f2cl to convert Fortran to Lisp, then there's
> a lot of code out there. :-) Otherwise, I think it's fairly limited
> and certainly not like the Fortran or even C numerical libraries.

OK, so it seems this project should be on the back burner.  Though it
really would show off the power of a lisp compiler, I'd think, and
without all the overhead of writing the optimized blas directly, as
its already widely available via atlas.

Take care,