gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: mprotect

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: mprotect
Date: 21 Jun 2002 14:30:15 -0400

Greetings!

Gerhard Tonn <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tuesday 18 June 2002 17:40, Camm Maguire wrote:
> > Greetings!  In porting gcl, I'm trying to read the fault address on
> > writing to an array mprotect'ed to PROT_READ.  This gives a SIGSEGV on
> > all Debian arches except s390.  Anyone know why?  Is there an
> > equivalent mechanism here?
> >

> It's a known bug on s390. It will be fixed with the next kernel version. Are
> you working on testing or unstable?

I see, thanks.  I'm only working on whatever is on trex.debian.org.
In case you did not catch the earlier discussion, this is for gcl,
which basically mprotects its lisp heap PROT_READ only, then on write
attempt, catches the segfault, locates the fault address in the
handler, marks the page read/write, and schedules the page for garbage
collection.

Its looking like there is enough variation among the Debian arches
regarding this functionality that some run-time test will be
necessary.

Thanks again,