gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl on ms windows

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl on ms windows
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:33:16 +1000

Hi Camm.

I apologise for not going further since my last communication, but I am
spread rather thin time wise at present and GCL/Maxima is unfortunately not
near the top of the priorites!

>  Who is Rainer, and where can I
> find out what he's been doing?

Rainer Keuchel (address@hidden) - Dan Stanger first mentioned his web
site some time ago.  His Windows CE software port web page is
http://www.rainer-keuchel.de/software.html and includes Maxima and GCL.

> > The CVS .data files (for example, "cmpnew/*.data") for GCL are identical
> > mine (according to "cvs diff") after being rebuilt from scratch here.
> >

> Great!!!  Just to clarify, you've built a Mingw32 gcl from cvs,

Yes, with some mods (after Rainer) re the stack and heap checking macros.

> and
> then used that to recompile the gcl lisp files, and got no
> differences.

That was the case when last I communicated, but since then some diffs have
crept in eg "compiler::exit" instead of "lisp::exit" in "cmpblock.data".
These seem to be minor compared to the issues I refer to below which come up
during the Maxima build, and which seem to be radical format differences.

> >    2. My scratch Maxima .data files are substantially different to Dan's
> > (and the GCL ones) in that they seem to be a completely different
format.
> > For example, my new Maxima files lack a leading line of spaces followed
by
> > some kind of vector? format header which is present in Mingw32 GCL and
the
> > Cygwin builds:
> >
> >       #(#! blah blah....
> >

> Can you provide a sample?

Attached are two.  The information in each of these Mingw generated exmples
seems to be superficially similar to that found in Dan Stanger's examples,
to the extent that similar, but not identical labels appear eg: in the
attached "defopt.data", the labels:

    LISPIN-PACKAGE MAXIMA
    SYSTEM%INIT

appear, whereas in Dan's .data file, the spelling is:

   lisp::in-package "MAXIMA"
   system::%init

However, Dan's data files (and my GCL build) have lisp vector syntactic
sugar surrounding the labels eg:

#(#!
(lisp::in-package "MAXIMA")
#((system::%init . #((system::sputprop (lisp::quote maxima::defopt)
(lisp::quote maxima::macsyma-module) (lisp::quote (lisp::macro)))
(system::mm (lisp::quote maxima::defopt) 0))))
)

which is absent from my Maxima build files.  It is as though I am generating
a binary encoding rather than an ascii representation of the data segment
when building Maxima.

Once again, I emphasise that when my version of GCL compiles itself, the
.data files are not mangled, and appear to be exactly the same format as
those generated by Dan, and which appear in CVS.

> >    3. They are also upper case, whereas Dan's and the GCL .data files I
made
> > (and the CVS GCL ones) are all lower-case!!!
> >

> Very odd, but isn't lisp case insensitive?  I wonder if this could
> also be a system (i.e. Mingw) matter.  Being completely ignorant, but
> guessing that there is a DOS legacy, perhaps 'printf' statements are
> compiled to produce upper case?  Try a hello world program in C.

Yes, Common Lisp is case insensitive, but this is definitely not the
problem - Mingw32 printf() behaves the same as any other in this case.

My guess is that for some reason or other, I am producing an internal
representation of the data when compiling Maxima, and for some further
unknown reason, this does not happen when building GCL.

> Agreed, this would be great!

Sure would!  Once again apologies on the delay, probably more to go.

> "The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."  --  Baha'u'llah

My sentiment exactly although it would be nice if we could all treat our
neighbours nicely.  Let's hope that free software helps break down some of
the barriers.

Mike Thomas.