gcjwebplugin-devel

[Gcjwebplugin-devel] Java on the 770 (who cares about licensing)

From: Philippe Laporte
Subject: [Gcjwebplugin-devel] Java on the 770 (who cares about licensing)
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 18:46:05 +0100

Hi,
I will be putting SableVM, Classpath, and Knopflerfish OSGI altogether on the 770.

I invite all the willing to help. I have not quite started yet. I am still gathering intelligence on how to best perform this task. I do not have unlimited resources.

I was the lead Designer of Browser Development and wrote a fair portion of the Browser UI for the 770 at Nokia. I designed the GTK+ Opera widget. I was formerly also at Transvirtual Technologies, the pioneers of Embedded Lunux and Java. I implemented a little-known analog (NIH syndrome) to Rhino called XS (XoeScript).

We at Gatespace Telematics are determined to offer the best possible open-source CDC-OSGI Java platform. We are beginning in the open-source Java world but are determined to bring in our resources to see this package grow and eventually be chosen by Nokia as THE Java platform for Maemo.

I foresee the need for MIDP so all efforts in that direction are great! We foresee a scheme where a midlet's byte-code would be downloaded to a device and precompiled to native at installation. GCJ is definitely a player here. Despite its seeming excessive long-term memory consumption, this scheme is already in deployment in the mobile industry. I think that SOOT will help in reducing the byte-code size (and thus save money for the user). Of course also to rename all identifiers to shorter strings with some other tool. And what else, then? I haven't looked into this very deeply at all. OMA standards are used to get the midlet onto the device.

We are behind the BSD-licensed Knopflerfish implementation and will be proud to demonstrate our leading product for Telematics using the 770.

Gatespace Telematics has at this point no contract with Nokia.

I would also like to invite all to take a look at Knopflerfish. The web site is bad, but it awaits a major revamp. Gatespace *used* to have 60 employees.

There is a fair chance that we will also be completing the GCJ-Classpath webplugin, and thus have Applet support in Mozilla/Minimo. A prerequisite for that would be signed jars support in Classpath. We would do the rest.

Another thing we might do is add profile options to the Classpath build system if they don't exist yet.

I hope that many will find this interesting and want to join in some way.

Best Regards,

--
Philippe Laporte
Director of OMA and Embedded Development

Gatespace Telematics
Första Långgatan 18
41328 Göteborg
Sweden