gchemutils-main

[Gchemutils-main] The Gnome Chemistry Utils 0.9.6

From: Jean Bréfort
Subject: [Gchemutils-main] The Gnome Chemistry Utils 0.9.6
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:19:35 +0200

Hi,

I just released 0.9.6 (0.9.5 was buggy and not announced). Main news
are:

GChemPaint:
        * enhanced cdx and cdxml files import. [#21112]
        * enhanced atoms and bonds drawing (no more a white rectangles
        under the atom symbol to hide bonds).
GSpectrum:
        * the varables can now be changed in some instances, as variance
        to transmittance or vice versa.
Other:
        * removed as much gnome-vfs code as possible and replaced it
        by gio/gvfs calls.
        * enhanced build system.

Sources are availbale from the usual place:
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/gchemutils/0.9/gnome-chemistry-utils-0.9.6.tar.bz2
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/gchemutils/0.9/gnome-chemistry-utils-0.9.6.tar.gz

Note that to compile this version, you'll need the svn trunk version of
libgsf until a new libgsf release is available (planned for "soon").

Now, what's next? There are enough new features to make a new stable
release, even if I could not implement all I would have liked to. So,
next release will be 0.9.90, the last blocking thing being the libgsf
release, which I hope for september. Then 0.10.0 as soon as possible.
Documentations and translations need to be updated before. The new build
system being dapted to both development and stable versions, I'll create
the 0.10 branch only after 0.10.0 release, so that changes that would be
made during the betas in the code, documentation or translations will
not have to be reimplemnted in 0.12.

The main change planned for 0.12 will be a new canvas for GChemPaint.
GnomeCanvas is unmaintained and (almost) deprecated, and no other
available canvas presents the needed feature and/or any certainty about
maintainance, even in the short term, so I decided to write a special
canvas with just the needed features (but all of them). The tests I made
so far are quite promising.

Best regards,
Jean