gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune: Further Evidence on Old Problem

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune: Further Evidence on Old Problem
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 20:19:45 +0200

Hi,

didn't got around earlier to try, see below...

On 06/10/15 03:42, Richard Stonehouse wrote:
Hi Sebastian,

I've tested playing MP3s on 32-bit and it seems to be fine (as it was
before on 32-bit).

However, I have another problem, which seems to be 64-bit only. I did
see it in the previous version of Cynthiune (SVN rev 2647) but assumed
it was just another feature of the MP3 bug - but it's still there and
perhaps more consistent.

The following steps reproduce it consistently for me on 64-bit, and do
not reproduce it on 32-bit:

1. Put some files in the Playlist (any type).

2. Play one or more files (any type).

3. Select all the files in the Playlist, using the mouse.
Here I clicked on the first in the list, scrolled to the last
pressed ctrl, and then clicked the last one so that all got highlighted.

4. Click on the 'Remove Selection' button.

I'm unable to reproduce.
When I do that, then all songs disappear, and Cynthiune stops playing.

Tried on OpenBSD amd64. I compile with
clang, and make use of libobjc2. Otherwise, using all the latest
releases.

What versions of the libraries are you running, and compiler using?
Do you can compile all objc stuff with debugging information, and
run Cynthiune in gdb and try getting a backtrace when it hangs?

I don't really think so, but maybe its a backend problem, do you can reproduce it with a different audio output backend?

Sebastian

Cynthiune hangs. It doesn't look like a loop - no CPU is being
consumed.  If you double-click on the title bar of the upper Cynthiune
window to shrink the window to title bar only, then double-click again
to re-expand it, the upper window reappears with no content. It isn't
possible to miniaturise the window.

It doesn't go into this state if you omit step 2, playing a file.

It doesn't if, at step 3, you select only some of the files in the
playlist. However it does occur even if there is just one file in the
playlist, and you try to select and then remove it.

I also hit another problem when, while messing about trying to reproduce
the above, clicking on the 'Next' button crashed Cynthiune. It produced
a lot of output to the terminal - the first bit of this was lost but the
attached is as much was retrievable. I haven't found a way of
reproducing this again.