gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] RSSKit/0.4 silent ABI break

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] RSSKit/0.4 silent ABI break
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 02:45:54 +0300

Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> should be a MAJOR.MINOR version.
> whereas, rules for version bumps are easy:
> minor version bump: stuff that doesn't break binary compatibility,
> i.e. addition of a method major version bump: stuff breaking binary
> compatibility, i.e. adding removing of a class variable, or removing
> of a method
>
> So, since the new 0.4 version seems to be binary incompatible, the
> INTERFACE_VERSION should be 1.0

This won't work as you expect with GNUstep Make -- 1.0 and 1.1 will
yield different SONAMEs.  Only the SUBMINOR version is not encoded in
the SONAME.  1 will be enough, but now it is not necessary to do it as
0.4.0 has been released already and I guess the next release will be
binary compatible with 0.4.0, so that would classify as gratuitous
soname bump...