gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Fwd: Cynthiune: Two Problems

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Fwd: Cynthiune: Two Problems
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 22:30:08 +0000

Hi Sebastian,

On Sat, Mar 08, 2014 at 02:07:29PM +0100, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
Hi Richard,

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 16:52 CET, Richard Stonehouse <address@hidden>
wrote:

[...]

>I do use(d) Cynthiune to play MP3 files quite a bit. Does it happen
>with all MP3 files or only with a certain file?

It happens with all the MP3 files I've tried - both ones I've
generated using lame and ones I've downloaded.

Having listened to a few more, it seems that the 'twittering' noise is
actually a delayed echo of the original sound, grossly distorted.

By the way, I should have mentioned that au, wav and ogg work fine.

I've tried playing MP3's again, but I don't seem to be able
to reproduce this noise you hear.

The attached sample MP3 produces the noise for me, but so do all the other MP3s I've tried, including MP3s downloaded from the Internet, so I'd guess this sample will work OK for you.

However, I've found that the problem occurs in openSUSE 13.1 but not in openSUSE 12.3. Probably the main difference is that 12.3 uses GCC 4.7 whereas 13.1 uses GCC 4.8. Could this be relevant?

--
     Richard Stonehouse