gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Talksoup - bugs?

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Talksoup - bugs?
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 08:51:56 +0200

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 01:34 CEST, Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 18:38 CEST, Riccardo Mottola
> > <address@hidden> wrote:
> >

> >> ere should be some
> >> time to dig into it, if you don't fix it before ;)
> >> Well, recomp0ile and get the new warnings. If only the pouter mismaptch
> >> and __OBJC_INSTANCE_xx errors remain, then I'm happy and don't know what
> >> else to fix.
> > the remaining warnings see attached in output3.
> I fixed several warnings this evening, including the "new" ones. Just a
> couple of false-positive are left in. So please it another spin!
>
> > I get a couple of exceptions when connecting to a server, but that works,
> > then when joining a channel, I get a couple of more exceptions. See attached
> > backtrace file. The last exception is after the
> > Topic for #GNUstep is "Welcome to #GNUstep!"
> > line appears in the Server window, all after come before that's printed.
> > Then it just hangs there, but doesn't open the channel tab.
> I checked and before trying to fix it, I have seen a couple of static
> functions which mismatche dsinged/unsigned types about lengths I fixed
> those. Perhaps it is enough?
> > I tried the same latest CVS on i386 machine, where it just works, joining
> > a channel opens a channel tab.
> >
> in i386 it works for me too, both clang & gcc.
>
> let me know the current warnings & exceptions. I hope the last fixes help.

It helped indeed. I updated netclasses and TalkSoup, and now it opens a channel
tab!

I still have a problem with building TalkSoup within the ports infrastructure.
in Output/GNUstepOutput/GNUmakefile.postamble there is under:

before-all::
   ... some other stuff
   $(MAKE) -C Tools all
   $(MAKE) -C Tools install

The last line is bad, since its called when just make is called, and not in the
install stage. When its calling the install target in the Tools directory, its
issuing
a chown command, which is forbidden in that stage of build, and stops the
whole build. I have to restart it a second time, then it will go over it, and
continue to the end.

I tried to move that line to a different target like this:

before-install::
        $(MAKE) -C Tools install

Then the build succeeds, and it also creates the two tools, but the
before-install:: doesn't seem to get called, or not at the right time,
and the two tools are not installed correctly.

Do you have a better idea about that one?

Attached the remaining warnings when compiling. But as far as I understood
the thread on the other m/l, they are not nice, but also not too much to worry
about?

Since due to your great work, TalkSoup seems to work fine again with current
GNUstep. I'll see that I get it tested on macppc later this week too.
In the TalkSoup git on github, there are a handful of additional Input/Output
modules,
which I think we should also add to our GAP version.

cheers,
Sebastian