gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Pantomime with CoreBase

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Pantomime with CoreBase
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:55:16 +0200

Hi,

On 2012-08-21 11:35:30 +0000 "Sebastian Reitenbach" <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

I was investigating a lot of the #if(n)def MACOSX in Pantomime and found that many (most) deal with CoreFoundation on the Mac. Since GNUstep now has CoreBase, I thought about hey, it would be a good idea to reduce differences between Mac and GNUstep, in order to figure out, why GNUMail behaves differently on those systems.

I am actually not so fond of all this Core* stuff and would rather not add a dependency on CoreBase. However since on Mac it uses at least a part of CoreFoundation, it might be again to reduce complexity. I consider CoreBase though "experimental", it doesn't even work as you see. I also want to check how portable CoreBase it with older compilers, operating systems, etc.

It might be interesting on the long run to have a more maintainable code base, as are the GUI differences due to code gui generation vs. NIB files.

So I'd think that the next GNUMail+Pantomime release should not switch to CoreBase. We also have LuserNET depending on Pantomime. It should be a "fix" and maintenance release. Once that is done we can look forward and checking #ifdef's and reduce them and continue testing functionality. Collaborating with Stefan would be good.

Riccardo