gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] disable autodetect of supported auth entication m

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] disable autodetect of supported auth entication mechanisms for IMAP and SMTP
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 11:56:34 +0200

On Sunday, August 19, 2012 10:45 CEST, Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2012-08-17 12:17:12 +0200 "Sebastian Reitenbach"
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > with my investigations with regard why the autodetction of of the
> > authentication mechanism for SMTP is broken I found that the same is
> > true for
> > the IMAP too.
> > In AccountEditorWindowController.m, in
> > sendSupportedMechanismsButtonClicked:
> > and in _connectToIMAPServer:,
> > there a [aSMTP setDelegate:self] and respectively a [store
> > setDelegate: self]
> > is given.
> > Then, when in those methods in AccountEditorWindowController.m the
> > connect to
> > the server is initiated, it goes
> > to Pantomime CWService.m _addWatchers method, which in the end calls:
> > PERFORM_SELECTOR_1(_delegate, @selector(connectionEstablished:),
> > PantomimeConnectionEstablished);
> > but the connectionEstablished: method in
> > AccountEditorWindowController.m
> > doesn't exist, and therefore it just doesn't work.
> >
> > I tried adding a connectionEstablished:method to the
> > AccountEditorWindowController.m, and I saw it getting called, but
> > still, I
> > was not yet able to figure out, how then to get the information
> > needed to
> > update the PopUp
> > fields with the right values.
>
> I did not try your patch yet, but your analysis seems correct. I can
> only see the definition of the method but not the implementation.
> Perhaps something in Pantomime changed? We should check the older
> version.
>
> I have one very smart question though: I compiled everything on mac
> 10.4 and run GNUMail on it and even (the same binary) on 10.3 and the
> SMTP "Check supported" works instantly and populates the menu! Good
> point, not? This thickens the plot.

This is indeed interesting! Also I guess, you can do the same for IMAP and it
will work, and probably you can populate the list of IMAP folders too.

> Generally, I've used GNUMail on mac for 10 days now on the same server
> and postbox as I do on GNUstep usually and it is much more stable. We
> need to check. There is a lot of MACOSX def'd code. Some may be fine,
> but perhaps some can be made use the same codebase for both?
> Especially in CWService.m, but generally in GNUMail (taken in account
> that the GUI is generted differently, I want to change that in the
> long term, but not for this release of course)

Now, since its working for you on the Mac, there is probably something
different
in the #ifdefs between Mac and GNUstep. So, worth looking. Since
Pantomime/GNUMail
is "old" code, and GNUstep probably got a lot more compatible over the time,
it seems to be feasible investigating getting rid of those #ifdefs.

cheers,
Sebastian