gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] FYI: CDPlayer with libcdio support

From: Andreas Schik
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] FYI: CDPlayer with libcdio support
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 12:26:39 +0200

Hi,

Am 07.06.2012 um 12:14 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden>:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> I got your last email too, strange.
See my last mail.

> Andreas Schik wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have managed in the last days to make CDPlayer work with libcdio and
>> friends, at least in a rudimentary manner.
>> Currently I encounter different problems:
>> - interrupted data streams, i.e. the player stops playing after a couple
>> of minutes
>> - the display being not in sync with the actual playing
>> - most probably others I have not come across, yet
>>
>> Why do I port this here? Mainly for two reasons:
>>
>> 1. I am using the Cnthiune output module system. This way I do not have
>> to duplicate this code. CDPlayer simply loads the *.output modules from
>> Cynthiune's bundle folder and uses them.
>>
> This is cool Since we are "fixing" those modules, I hope you can benefit of
> those and their portability. The drawback is that they are still a bit
> rudimentary.
So far I did not encounter major problems neither with OSS nor with ALSA (I'm
on linux). As their interfaces for The preference views are basically the same
as for CDPlayer's built in modules (apart from the naming), it was not even a
problem to integrate those.

>> 2. For the time being, I at least will not try to integrate that into
>> Cynthiune. Mainly, because I have no time, but I am also lacking a good
>> idea of how to integrate that into Cynthiune's GUI.
>> I also need CDPlayer's services (for Burn and an auto-mounting/-playing
>> helper I have written). So, replacing CDPlayer by Cynthiune would be too
>> much effort for me.
> I think it is perfectly fine to have the two application separate for the
> time being. This allows us to refine Cynthiune to be more mature
> independently. I would not like to make Cynthiune a "monstrum" which burns
> cd's and other things. Although in the future thinking about burning MP3's
> and ripping
> Sharing code and finding a way to integrate them in the future with services
> or playlists without merging the applications might make sense though.
That is actually not the intention. Currently, I can use DnD between CDPlayer
and Burn to burn CD tracks (the same goes for files when using GWorkspace).
CDPlayer also offers services to automatically play CDs or retrieve the TOC.
What I meant was that these possibilities would need to be implemented in
Cynthiune, if it was to replace CDPlayer.
Apart from Cynthiune's GUI, I also have no real idea of how to impose the file
centric approach to handling CDs. That's another point why I currently don't
want to implement CD support into Cynthiune.

Andre