gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune -- MusicBrainz support

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune -- MusicBrainz support
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 19:11:33 +0200

Hi Yavor,

Yavor Doganov wrote:
Hi GAPers,

Riccardo told me that you have taken the romantic but bug-suffering
Cynthiune under your custody and a great deal of bug fixing has been
going on in the past weeks, in preparation for a new release under the
GAP umbrella.  Finally some deserved love for this mistreated app.
Excellent job!
Thanks. Everybody here worked quite hard.

In case someone intends to dive into restoring MusicBrainz lookups --
please hold on for a while as that would be a duplicate effort.  I
managed to port the (buggy) Debian package to libmusicbrainz5 (the
newest API), and I'm in the process of making it work under
libmusicbrainz3 (the widespread API based on the XML service that is
still working) as well.

I'd like to refrain from sharing the patch right now as I'm still
polishing it; I hope to be able to send it here within a day or two.
In any case, as has been mentioned by various contributors, this
should not be a blocker for a new release.

No, it is not a show-stopper. We have some "minor" bugs left in portability, error handling. I don't think we are not having regressions here, so it might be worth a release and in case, a second further improved release. We already have identified some problems (like rate handling, buffering problems) that need more work that is better done after a release.

I myself was quite busy with a total release event these past days, you might have noticed! And there are more pending... I hope I do not need to open a debian bug report for each one to get it updated :)

Nexto on the list are PDFKit, RSSKit+Grr and Cynthiune.

Riccardo