gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune : MP3 bundle and long delays

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune : MP3 bundle and long delays
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 00:43:27 +0200

Hi,

On 2012-05-20 20:45:23 +0200 Philippe Roussel <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

I got the MP3 bundle to seek very fast but I would like you guys to try
to understand the code because I'm missing something.

To suppress the long delay while seeking through a mp3, the following is
enough :

Sadly, I had no time to look further at the code (and perhaps we should delay real rewrites after a first maintenance release). You essentially resize a buffer. I tried on my iBook (linux/G3) and PowerBook (10.4/G4) and found out that 2 * 8192 is a pretty decent compromise value. I got both machines to "crackle" when putting on heavy load, where load is more disk IO / swapping bound than CPU bound. While it is pretty easy to overload the trusty ibook with its limited RAM (160MB) it was a bit more difficult with the PB. iTunes on the same machines really rarely skips. Thus there is surely place for optimization.

The buffer management could also explain the dirty noise that (sometimes) happens when seeking in a song or when skipping to the next song. There might be garbage under some conditions.

I'd set the valoue from 5times to 2times, what do you think? Preferences could be added. But perhaps understanding the code better could improve it more and remove noises.

Thanks for the good work Philippe.

Riccardo