gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune - endianness

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune - endianness
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 10:20:19 +0200

Hi,

Le 13/05/2012 00:36, Riccardo Mottola a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I implemented a first rough handling of endianness.
>
> I forsee 3 values: little, big and native endianness. They refer to what
> the input media bundle actually delivers, not  the file itself. It
> appears as if MP3 are always LE, WAV files instead are returned native:
> little endian on LE machines, big endian on BE machines.
>
> The output bundles implement the setting. I suppose most will respect
> what you give, but each output should be checked.
>
> I did not fix all bundles, I don´t have all libraries here on my iBook.
> Please check on your machines. If you are in doubt and want to fix your
> endianness, I think setting LE as default is the best. I enhanced the
> protocol.
>
> I still have a problem with the ALSA backend though: it works with the
> first song played, it is correctly set, further songs however are
> incorrectly played if they change endianness. I get an exception and
> broken pipe.
> I think this is also a reason why Rate cannot be changed. Somehow we do
> not re-set the device correctly at each song.
>
> Please try your luck and help me out :)

Here's a patch that should be split but I'm lazy :o)

There are fixes for your protocol extensions, some aren't tested as I
don't have timidy for example but it's better to at least implement the
protocol even if it has to be fixed later.

There also are some fixes in other areas, thanks to gcc warnings that
were hurting my eyes.

Please review and apply what seems good to you.

Note : unless I missed something, the .nib files could be removed, they
are not even referenced in the makefile.

Thanks,
Philippe